About this Show

Stossel

News/Business. (2012)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 130 (Fox Business)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
704

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 12, America 6, United States 5, Google 4, India 3, China 3, Yugoslavia 2, Copd 2, Orix 1, United States Jurisdictio 1, Plen Tal Gun Perspecti 1, Grandma 1, Midwestern Chicago 1, Wk 1, Indians 1, Ry Sas 1, Isight 1, John Stossel 1, Doug Wroteo 1, Chan 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX Business    Stossel    News/Business.  (2012)  

    December 29, 2012
    9:00 - 10:00pm EST  

9:00pm
when if the man can't feel palace c lynmasculineor stock f? we need to give permission to men to feel good about themselves in a different way. >> perhaps we don't need as many guns, available. lou: to be clear, that is yr politi. >> it is plen tal gun perspecti. your comments now. doug wroteo say both parties, a disgraceful farce shame on us and the media to allow them to continue the scams unchallenged. ry sas "more stone walling on ben gi sai? we'll never know the truth, will we?" i think we will. it may take time, but we will. it may take time, but we will. right now.
9:01pm
>> biological attack is possible. >> swine flu panic grips the nation. >> climate change is killing people. >> the media says life is horrible. >> poverty has reached new depths. >> but the media missed the big picture. >> i was only four when i saw my motherlode a washing machine for the first time. >> this is a woerful word and getting better. his grandmother was thrilled by a washing machine. >> she sat down and watched the entire washing program. >> two, one, fire! >> the machines coming next or better thanks to competition. and they build school cars and space ships. >> entpreneurs do what only governments did before. >> maybe cites will be built on water flow from big government. >> this is outside the united
9:02pm
states jurisdictio >> life gets better becaus ideas have sex. >> wait, ideas have sex? >> yes. >> ideas spread. when they meet they can mate. >> because of that we livin a wonderful world. that is our show tonight. >> now, john stossel. ♪ i think to mylf ♪ what wonderful world >> what a wonderful world? what are they talng about? all we hear from the media is doom, unemployment, pollution, social conflict, all the things exist but couldn't once in a while someone putt it in perspective? this man d that. i usuly don't like to put on
9:03pm
swedish public health professionals or danish publi health professionals they put you to sleep but tis gntleman has caught the world's attention because he gave a tech talk, technology entertainment design, many are boring but his ta has been viewed 100,000 times. here is part of it. >> i was only four years old when i saw my motherlode the washing machine for the very first time in her life. even grandma was invited to see the machine. throughout her life, she had been heating water with fire hood and hand wash laundry for her seven chdren and sat down in front of the machine and she watched the entire washing program. to my grandmother, the washing machine was a miracle. >> but there are seven billion
9:04pm
people on work and most have no access to such miracles. >> two billion have access and the remaining five billion, how do they wash? they wash like this: by hand. it is a time consuming labor which ey have to d for hours every week. they want the washing machine. they don't want to spend such a large part of their life doing this hard work with so relatively low productivity. but when i electric truer to environmentally concerned students they say everyone in the can world cannot have cars and washing machine. how ca we tell this woman she will not have a washing machine? >> you students don't want everyone to have a washing machin >> they have not thought it through. they get concerned about one thing and forget reality. iay how many of you have not
9:05pm
washed your jeans or sheets. one boy said he hand washed but there was an e circl around where he was sitting. it is sort of a "we like it because it saves so much time." that is part ofthe industrial revolution that everyone wants. when they say lonely the power station, and long live the chemical processing industry... >> he corrected me, and this video was not viewed by several hundred thousand but by how many? >> totally, ten million. and you do a presentation, that most of history people were miserably poor and died before age 40 and only recently things have changes. did you a chart thisis life span. this is wealth. for most of history, people have been down here, only recently,
9:06pm
the united states and some other countries are here, but many people are still, we have it here, stuck. >>guest: this is 180, -- 1800 everyone was sick and poor and they started to move. this is a representation of what you should look at on t web page and some -- this is britain. this is when britain was richer but the united states decided to catch up. and now this is australia and new zealand. now at turn of the century, united states is pushing forward with technology and the market economy and they have a lot of good publi health things being done and the rest of the wod that is dominateing, india and china, but in the 60's they missed.
9:07pm
the market economies are good an they grow their economies and they are catching up. today when we land, 2010, these are the countries that borrow money to the richest when they have their problems. >> in my mind this raises two questions, or two amazing results from this. there have been thousands of years of human history and everyone was stuck on the lower left for thousands of years, it has been 200 years that you have all of this activit and how come some countries are still stuck? >> it is easy to understand. the st message today is that most of the african countries are nown fast economic growth. they have corrected the wrong market ideas they had 20 years ago, and they he a much better
9:08pm
education than, -- and tanzania is similar to thailand in 1972 and soon we will see african countries doing good. >> this is wonderful. r problems are solved w know what works and we will be rich. >>guest: no, we have tis problem with two billion human beings in poverty. i did most of my research in the poor part of the world. all poor people are clever otherwise they would be died. if youou are poor and stupid, yu die. >> they don't have rule ofaw? >>guest: they don't have rule of law or access to credit and they are locked in a vicious circle poverty. it takes a sll investment to get them out of that. to me it shows the aptitude of people. when a young couple decide to grab if the kingdo a to have
9:09pm
two children, they invest in the children and they take off. we have two-child families from here and onward. the world is governed from that. it is not the b corporations or banks that run the economy, it is the young couple who decide to work. >> when they are educated with wealth they . >> are helpful. this fantastic investment in vaccinations that helps so d you not have a kid who is physically handicapped for life, that drags the family down. the way that government sources are used is crucial. there are some things like advancemt and research and primary school we need the government money but it sto be contrled. >> tnk you, sir. next, you want to live to be 150? my ne guest says the first person to do so my have already been born.
9:10pm
it might be you. do youant to live to be 150? i don't. how advances in medicine may chge everything. the boys useasasasasas capital one venture miles for their annual fooall trip. that's double miles you can actually use. tragically, their ddy got sacked by blackouts. but it's our tdition! that's roughing the card holder. but with the capital one venture card you get double miles you can actually use. [ cheering ] any flight, anytime. the scoreboard doesn't lie. what's in your wallet? hut! i have me on my ntasy team.
9:11pm
9:12pm
9:13pm
>> most of human history people died by age 30. 30 year was the average life span for thousands of years. only with the industrial revolution did that chan and it changed quickly 1850 the average life span was almost 40. 50 years later, 47. by 1950,it was up to 68. now, the average in america is 78. 76 for men and 81 for women. the numbers will only go up. and up. the. >> their of a book called "100 plus, the coming age of longevity will change
9:14pm
everything everything? >>guest: everything. >> how much longevity? >>guest: i take the premise it will be possible in for average life expectancy to go up to 150. >> there is someone ave today who willive to 150? >>guest: absolutely. >> is that creepy? you will be shriveled? >>est: no, we will be healthier for longer, d energetic and enjoying likes. >> because they invent body part replacements. >>guest: that is a low-hanging fruits. scientists have created brand new humoring beganssing a person's adult stem cells so bladders, trachea, human blood vessels, they have been created already. >> so, assume we accept this, we are healthy, what happens to your life?
9:15pm
you work longer? you change jobs? don't you get sick of it? >>guest: the exiting is, there will be much more opportunity. right now, with the average life span of 80 years, if you want to be a doctor, a lawyer, and an entrepreneur it and tough to have all of those three years because two of the years require lot education. when we have longer healthier lifespans we can go back to education and try new years we would not have tried otherwise. >> they will change familie? >>guest: we will be around longer, there is more potential to have more marriages and of course fertility extends, there could be different types of family structures. it will be more diverse. >> you could have a sibling who is 50 years younger in. >> yes. >> some of this creps me out a bit. "new york times" op-edhey write silly things and they said, people should not live longer, you will lose purpose in
9:16pm
life. i met a guy who said i am 69, if i make it to 75, i'll done i've had it don't you lose the edge? is there a natural cycle? >>guest: i think people tend to say that because they assume as you get older you al get ill but when that is the case, you do lose your lust for life bu if you are healthy and energetic, there is so much more to do and you thi about it, you never have enough timeto do everything you want, do you? we need more time. >> there was a profile of the person, the billionaire who wrote the forward to your book, and it was silly, and a silly things they sd was that this extending life is not a good idea because the technology will be availab to rich people first and it will add to inequality. >>guest: that is a knee-jerk reaction but we hear that when you talk about any type of new
9:17pm
technology. thk when cell phones first came out. only the rich people had cell phones. yes, they were the sizef brick and y carried around in a briefcase and it is a good thing they funded that technology because it led to cheaper devices that we now use. >> eventually, your point, is it will get to everyone. the guy who wrote the forward says the biggest inequality is define those who are alive and dead but the rich people experiment first, they will get hurt first by the mistakes. >>guest: that is right. they take the most risk and put the most capital forward. in some ways it is good tt happens. the biggest question, how lo does it take between the rich getting it and the poor getting it and that is shrinking for new technology. that divide. >> thank you, sonia, more on our wonderful world. despite what the media whines about, it is a wonderful world. more on that when we come back. stamps.com is the best.
9:18pm
9:19pm
9:20pm
i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore. [ male announr ] with stamps.com you can print real u.s. postage for all your letters and packages. i have exactly the amount of postage i need, the instant i need it. can you print only stamps? no... first cla. priority mail. certified. international. and thmail manicks it up. i don't leave the shop anymore. [ male announcer ] get a 4 week trial plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale. go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again. and there's a big advantage parents can give their kids -- making sure they get active at least 60 minutes each day. studies show that physical activity not only helps kids stay healthy, it can enhance important skills, like concentration
9:21pm
and problem solving, which can improve academic performance. this means physical activity can help your kids in the most important game of all -- life. >> google. intel. e-bay. yahoo, think of the wealth they created. 100,000 millionaires. and uth africa computer program has it easier than when
9:22pm
the indians want to come in but they have to wait six years. so, wh if america did notlet google or yahoo founders in? we would have lost a lot. so, since american politicians are not taking steps to change e rule to allow more entrepreneurs to come here to work, dario and max, my guests, have set out to build a ship and keep it off the coast of california outside the reach of immigration controls and foreign entrepreneurs could work here, is that the idea? >> that is correct. we are creating what we call a visa free technology incubator on a ship, 12 miles off the coast of the bay area. >> definitely miles escapes the rules of the united states. >>guest: it is outside the territorial wats. >> the idea is and yo arerom the silicon lley area, that
9:23pm
you can come to america with a work visa a wk three months orix months but you cannot stay so you have the four engineer the boat and the silicon valley tech geniuses go back and forhe and work with them? >>guest: when you come for a few months on tourist or work visas you cannot work, so there is no avenue where the entrepreneurs can come hour and create the companies which create the jobs and the economic growth and the prosperity and put silicon valley on the map. >> time is needed for the companies to grow and enable them to have that period of time to meet relevant investors and they can grow. it is an incute baiter to get the small companies to be able to blow. >> you call it the blue seed project? why not green egg?
9:24pm
>> blue because it is on water and seed is a small company bere it grows into the next google or facebook. >> it is the googl plex o the sea. >>guest: we are familiar with google, the real google plex where inlligent and creative people can work in a fantastic t of circumstance >> that is what google called office space station. >>guest: a nice environment, which is conducive to creation of new products and new companies, and we like to copy th model on ouressel. >> you came up with this idea after graduate school? >>gut: when i was in graduate school i got my mba from the university of miami and many people from all ports of the worl india, europe, china, o wanted to stayere after they graduated and work their companies, create new start-ups,
9:25pm
but they were unable to do so because after you graduate you get ajob with an existing compy or you leave and for many them that was not a good opti and they left and took their ideas and companies with them. >> so they get their fancy education here and go back to indian o someere else. >>guest: we would like to stem the tide and keep them closer, and bring them back to the united states so they can create new jobs. and new companies >> if they worked for a company they could have stayed? >>guest: if you g sponsored by a large corporation you can get the prop visas to work in the country t you cannot self sponsor and you canno be here and create your own start-ups without going through some pretty significant legal work. >> to build this b ship where people live cost as lotf money and people are actctually giving you money for this? >>guest: the face book funder and creator of pay pay pal is
9:26pm
helping us and bringing in a nuer of investors. he will give us a significant fraction of what we still need to raise our seed funding. >> we called one of the large immigration reform groups, they call themselves, they limited on immigration, and they said they could have paid a higher wage and found americans to do this engineering work. this is nutical grandstanding. >>guest: i would like to address that. basically, it is a way for companies to come so instead of leaving the united states they will be coming into the uted states and iis the opposite of what that gentleman mentioned. >> and you are both immigras yourself. >>guest: yes. my parents are from cuba. they came over when castro took power and now they entrepreneurs. >> you are from yugoslavia? >>guest: yes from the ex
9:27pm
yugoslavia. >> there is something about people who want to leave their country and go do a new country that makes them more likely to not only kill us but to build something. >>gut: they have the entrepreneurial spirit. that is what boosted the can do attitude which is the american trade that has a lot to do with a fact that this is a nation built by immigrants, so, try to provide aolution to a problem, an entrepreneurial solution ourselves. >> you are doing that, so, thank you, car i don't andax, coming up, ideas have...sex. what? what? that sounds inappropriate the my quest says it is what makes our world so wonderful. he is right. he will explain when we come back.
9:28pm
so, this board gives me rates for progressive direct and other car insurance companies? yes. but you're progressive, and they're them. yes. but they're here. yes. are you...? there? yes. no. are you them? i'm me. but those rates are for... th. so them are here. yes! you want to run through it again? no, i'm good. you got it? yes. rates for us and them -- now that's progressive. call or click today.
9:29pm
9:30pm
9:31pm
>> now, let's talk about ideas ving sex. you have one idea. she goe to a bar and meets another idea. theyget together and days or months later, i am not sure how it relates, but a baby results and the baby has the best traits of both parents. when this happens a lot, everyone gets smarter and the world gets better. i know this seems like a weird
9:32pm
concept. it seemed weird to me when i first heard it but the more i thought about it the more right it seemed. now to a british journalist, the reason, you say, life gets better is ideas have sex, in effect. >>guest: ideas spread through exchange and trade and when they meet they can mate and you can produce combinations of different ideas. ploy favorite example is camera pill which takes a picture of your inside coming about after a conversation of a guided missile designer and a gastro interologist. the meetingf ideas causes innovation in cultu >> the genes do not have brains, they can meet and you get
9:33pm
something bad. >>guest:hat is true. it is ue with us. you can combine two ideas and come up with a worse idea but no e picks i up, no one takes it off. if you come up with a better idea it seads at the expense of the baddie and the recombining and what we do. the more we trade, the more we exchange, the more it happens. >> and the better life gets in general. >>guest: absolutely. our living standards have shot up in my lifetime. the average income of the average person is throw times what it was when i was born and life span 30 percent longer and child mortality is two-thirds lower that is because we kee improvg each other's living standards. >> so, you like to show people is picture. >>guest: the object on the left is a hand a and from half a million years ago and sits on my desk at home, the hand ax and next toit is t computer mouse, and they are the same size and shape and the was
9:34pm
madeed without a change in design for half a million years. is made from a single substance and the mouse is made from a bunch of dfferent substances, plastic and mtal and so on and it cbines different ideas, that occurred to different people in dferent times and different places and they all come together in this technology and that is how we are better off with the combinations of ideas. >> the mouse improves is often that the one i have a f years ago is already outf date >>guest: the one i took a picture of with the hand ax is no longer used by me. >> this work thursday a free exchange of idea but it does now work if there iscentral anning. >>guest: exactly the one thing about the way ideas come together and recombine is it actually creates things that are greater than the su of the parts and things we do not
9:35pm
understand. no one knows how to make a mputer mouse, i am quoting. >> someone knows, i have a compututer miscellaneouous. >>guest: no one person. no one person. the knowledge is shared among lots of different people. this is the inside of the economist when someone said no one knows how to make a pencil. it is a collective brain that achieves this. when you try and substitute an individual's intelligence by putting a man in charge of computer mouse manufacturing he cannot do as go a job as the collection with each of us knowing a little bit the picture. >> the computer mouse could have parts from china and india and the united states and hundrs of different people and the person who ships it and puts it in the box. >>guest: it is --. >> a million people could contribute. >>guest: it probab is a millio they are all working for me when they made it because it is my mouse and you have to include
9:36pm
the guy in brazil who is growing coffee drunk by the guy on the oil rig who was drilling for oil whose oil would be used inthe plastic factory, et cetera, they were all wori for me and that is the beauty of the system we have created, we work for each other all the time. we are each other's servants. >> but no one is bosng people around it is voluntary. >>guest: that isight. no one forces you to go out and buy a computer mouse or forces the guy who made the mouse to work for me or me to work for him because i am working for him because i have the money fr my work to buy the mouse. >> you argue that even if dumb people get together and have their ideas have sex that comes up with better results than the brilliant central planner. >>guest: thing this is why the obsession with i.q. andhether this grou have higr i.q. is mistaken, if you look atuman
9:37pm
hiory, lots of people in a room who are talking toach other, however stupid they are, can achieve a lot more than a lot of clever people in the room o nevertalk to each other. it is not individual intellence that accounts in how well a society works but how well people communicate and exchange ideas. >>ndhe result, you mentioned high are living standards, longer life span,hink of one of the richest people in the world at the time, louie the 14th. his lifet the time was wonderful. >>guest: he had 498 people to prepare his dinner each night cording t some person's book i read. you have 500 people preparing your dinner tonight. they are in cafes and restaurants and shops all over town. it is probably a better meal that he had because he probably didn't have man goes very office den and he probably had salmonella moreften than you do. >> and i have air conditioning and flush toilets and things he didn't have because of the
9:38pm
invisible hand. >>guest: if you took your own salary back 40 years and tried to, time traveled back to the 1960's, you would be rich as a kingpare to everyone else but, however, you still could not buy a really good latte from a coffee vendor in the street or get a mobile phone signal so there are a ton of things that live h has improved even over ad above monetary improvements. >> so, because of this, you call yourself the rationale optimist and you wrote a book of that title. >>guest: i was fed up with pessimist. when ias a student in the 1970's the grown ups said the future of the world was bleak, oil was running out, t populaon explosion was unstoppable. >> there was a book "the population bomb, race to oblivion otherwise" the wor
9:39pm
would runut of oil by 1992 by natural gas, in 1994, and aluminum would be gone by 2003 and so on. >>guest: all these predictions made in the 1970's and i believed them and a lot of people i knew did, and i feel cross that no one said anything optimistic to me how the resources may not r out, they could become more abundant, they could get chief -- cheaper rather than more expensiv and we could do less damage and our cities could have cleaner air and rivers, and all of these things have happened and we have healthier and happier and more cheffer peaceful and more equal, if you look at the picture glally. because ideas have sex. now, bill gates criticized this
9:40pm
optimism saying you fail to see that worry about the worst case can actually help drive a solution. >>gues i don't think that is really true. if you look where the solutions come from, they come from optimistic people living in rich people like sve jobs or leonardo in italy. ey are not driven by desperation or worry. in fact, i think it is the pessimists who are the complacent ones these days because they are saying, you knowthis is as good as it can get. we cannot make it any better. we better be careful about modified foods in indicate they are worse than existing technology. i think this world is great. but it is a veil of tears compared to what we could achieve. >> and could achieve. so, thank you, matt ridley.
9:41pm
comingp, who wants do go into space? soon we will all be able to go there. copd makes it hard to breathe, but with advair, i'm breathing better. so now i can be in the scene. advair is clinically proven to help significantly improve lung function. unlike most copd medications, advair contains both an anti-inflammatory and a long-acting bronchodilator working together to help improve your lung function all day. advair won't replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms and should not be used more than twice a day. people with copd taking advair may have a higher chance of pneumonia. advair may increase your risk of osteoporosis and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking advair. if you'rstill having difficulty breathing, ask your doctor if including advair could help
9:42pm
improve your lung function. get your first full prescription free and save on refills at advaircopd.com.
9:43pm
9:44pm
>> i talk about how innovation makes life better but where is the innovation coming from? politicians say from government. e big success story is america putting a man on the moon but think about it, yes, nasa put a man on the moon but they spent billions and have not been back in 40 years. by contrast, an organization called x prize is offering a prize and now a space ship unched three people into space. they won $10 million. there is another x prize offered for a private moon landing.
9:45pm
here is a sample of the device of a lander that is being tested negotiation government money, ne of your taxes involved, 80ive innovation driven by entrepreneurs taking the risk. competition if a car that gets 100 miles per hour has drawn nearly 100 entrepreneurs. the design competition was first, the cars had to pass the looks test. these cars d. nexts the race. 54 teams will compete to win. e man who raised the money if the prize and organizeed the organization is here. >> we have entrepreneurs and scientists and engineers to do what only government could do. >> peter joins us from los angeles. you have new prizes now? >> we do. we are havin a lot offun figuring where there could be
9:46pm
breakthroughs that you not going on or being driven by large companieor government that is challenging entrepreneurs to make the impossible, possible. >> where do you get the money? who put up the x prize? >> the money, really, comes from a range of different groups, includin individuals, and philanthrosts and cpetitions or large corporations, progressive insurance or companies such as that, wanting to make a difference in the rld. >> often, we assume this innovati has to be pushed by a governme. >>guest: today, more than ever, we have individuals and small teams that technology literally the ability to do extraordinary things with artificial intelligence and rots d computing power at our fingertips, that only the governments are large corporations had. >> there is a difference with
9:47pm
the incentive. the government is top down central planning compared to a contest that stimulates the entrepreneurs to try new stuff. >>guest: anyone around the world who solved this first wins. literally, when you look if a needle in the haystack, the needle comes to you so we have tens or hundreds of teams from around the planet, some of which you may never have found because they come into existence because of the competition and say, maybe i can do that. they come with very nontraditional ideas and you think about it, the tr break through the day before something is a breakthrough it is a crazy idea and the incentive competitions allow if crazy competitions to demonstrate wat they can do and become the breakthroughs of tomorrow. >> if you have $10 million offered for a car that gets 100 per gallon, if someone invents that, they make more than that in the market.
9:48pm
>>guest: so, as humans, we are wired to cpete. we do our best when we compete and in sports and different parts of our lives and putting up a challenge and saying, this could be impossible but here is a very clear objective goal and the first person to pull this off wins. it gets you, it enters our psyche and it drives people to say, how could i do that, how would do that, and they form teams and they go after it, and we are hearing all about the news recently about the launch vehicle, and the ize was won by burtwho was inspired by a competition. in were 26 teams competing and it launched a multibillion
9:49pm
dollar industry so that is the kind of leverage. and you only pay the winner that the incentive prices can create. >> last year a biionaire richard branson bought it and is testing a space ship that he will use to take tourists in to space. >>guest: i have my ticket. >> this is not a new idea. >> charles lindbergh risked his life to fly to paris because of the $25,000light and today that would be worth $300,000. >>est: that was my incentive. i readbout him crossing the atlantic in 1927 to win $25,000 prize and what a powerful way to incentivize breakthroughs and took us back through history the prize prizes that will
9:50pm
incentivize. e cool prize we had, a philanthropist in s valley saw the b.p. oil spill that was going on and it was going on and on and on and on and we literally thought, what canwe do in and james cameron said, why not lo at cleaning up oil spills s we held a competition and said, for te last 21 years from valdez to b.p. oil the best anyone had done was 1,100 gallons a minute to clean up. >> you offered a million to improve on that? >>guest: she offered $1.4 million to improve on that and you figure, what could .4 million do? this has been multibillion dollar industry, oil spills have been going on for a long-term and the technology has been stagnant. we had 350 teams preregisred and we narrowed it to top ten
9:51pm
and last year seven out of the ten teams that competed doubled e industry standard and the winning team quadrupled the industry standard so they nor you going into production and hopefully we will reinvent how to clean up oil spills and it shocks how a million or $10 miion can reinvent an industry. >> this makes for a wonderful world with lots of abundance which is the title of your new book coming out. thank you, peter. >> next, my take on a wonderful world.
9:52pm
9:53pm
9:54pm
>> the media does lots of complaining.
9:55pm
unemployme is high. so is the debt. iran is working on bombs. global warmining could kill us. libertarians are skeptical about that but the debt is rising. there is too much regulation. these kill jobs. fools in power add more. the bureaucracy of omacare is coming. the drug war range is on and the nanny state raises food markets. give us a break. the news business we focus on bad news. it is our job. if a plane crashes and kills us that is news. if not, it is nation but it is not news. so, it is good nearar the end of the year to step back once a notice this is a wonderful rld. even though we constantly add the stacks every dick louse regulation, entrepreneurs over come it. their ideas hav sex wi other
9:56pm
people's ideas and give birth to better things. i don't know what the next breakthrough will be, the next cw50 lend to a washing machine or an ipad. but i am sure there will be some. maybe it will come from a competition like the x prize. charles lindbergh first crossed the atlantic to win a prize. six people died trying to win it. lindbergh succeeded because he came up with new ideas saying, why need a co-pilot, i will fly solo to save weight. he trimmed the edges off the maps to save weight. people called him crazy but he succeeded. he did what government said couldn't be done and brought in the age of commercial aviation. life in america is tough for lots of people today, life for most is a better life than ever existed in the history of the world. we live longer than ever.
9:57pm
this is a chart of the average life span, which is why entitlements will bankrupt us. unemployment is still before 8 percent and i blame big government and the rulation but step back and remember, this year, america did add 1.4 million new jobs. if we have 10 percent of unmonth i that means 90 percent of those who want work have wk and income. again, in the history of the world, that is unusual. the water and air are cleaner than they used to be and they keep getting cleaner because of technology invented by capitalists. capitalism could be volly filed by the media but it makes our lives better and on this show we celebrate it. thanks if joining us this year. that is our show for tonight. that is our show for tonight. good night. the capital one cash rewards card gives you 1% cash back on all purchases,
9:58pm
plus a 50% annual bonus. and everyone likes 50% more... [ midwestern/chicago accent ] cheddar! yeah! 50 percent more [yodeling] yodel-ay-ee-oo. 50% more flash. [ southern accent ] 50 percent more taters. that's where tots come from. [ male aouncer ] the capital one cash rewards card gives you 1% cash back on every purchase plus a 50% annual bonus on the cash you earn. it's the card for people who like more cash. 50% more spy stuff. what's in your wallet? this car is too small.
9:59pm